Saturday, December 14, 2013

Graduating to Green


Chinese students are classified by the color of their uniform scarves.  At the start of the school year, first graders go scarf less, second graders wear green scarves, and third through fifth graders wear red scarves. One of the most exciting rites of passage for first graders is the scarf ceremony.   After learning the ropes of their new school for four months, my first graders finally received their green scarves.  I was so excited to finally attend the scarf ceremony with my kiddos!

My kiddos patiently wait for their scarves.

Some fifth grade leaders helped out with the rite of passage.

These are the ties traditionally worn by first and second graders.

The class supervisor modeled how to hold and put on the tie.
C tries on her tie with a little help.

Y puts on his tie as A looks on.

J had fun goofing off! 

My first graders hammed it up as a class!  They are too much fun!