Thursday, June 20, 2013

Searching for My Inner Hipster at the Power Station of Art


I really wish I was hip.  I wish I could be the person who could find deep meaning in paintings and pull off the effortlessly cool look.  I have learned however, that not all of us are born to be edgy.  However, everyone can pretend to be every once in a while. 

Chris and I decided to pretend to be hip over Dragonboat holiday and visit the Andy Warhol 15 Minutes Eternal exhibit at the Power Station of Art, an old power building/ now art gallery.  After we entered the industrial gray museum, we paid our 20 RMB and headed up the escalator in search of hipness. 


A modern day terra cotta army guards the stairway to the second floor. 
As we reached the second floor, I was a greeted by psychedelic pink cows, and a little (8 hour) video of home.  My inner hipster was excited to see what else Mr. Warhol had to offer.

Is this how strawberry milk is made?

It was nice to be greeted by a motherland landmark.  I think I would get a tad bored watching it for 8 hours, however.

Some pieces I completely understood.

This piece was fun and funky, I love it!

I want these pictures for my office! 


Others not so much.

Why anyone would want to watch a 35 minute video of a man eating a mushroom is beyond me.





I had a really hard time trying to figure out how this video is art.

Insert your own happy to see you banana joke here...

After seeing this episode of Warhol TV I wondered how many of us made it out of the '80's.

I did have a deeper appreciation for the man and his art after I saw some of his photos and read this quote:

“A picture means I know where I was every minute. That's why I take pictures. It's a visual diary.” 
-Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol poses in front of Mao in Tiananmen Square in Beijing in 1982.
After a little Warhol fun, we decided to explore some of the other exhibits in the museum.

The “Spectacle” exhibit was designed to “create a relationship of watching and being watched”.  Mission accomplished.

Chris had a great time capturing this metallic blue sculptural perspective.

It is amazing how something so normal looking can be oddly creepy.  This sculpture made me feel like I was definitely being watched.
The Powerstation has multiple areas for kids to create their own works after visiting exhibits.  
Kohler was holding it’s own art exhibit in another gallery.

I remember burning my hands many times in this sink at my Grandma Cutchens' house.

I imagine that old school bath tub was extremely heavy!

This is the Kohler tub of the future!  Add some bubbles and I am there!


After spending time in Warhol land, I decided it was time for us to leave the Powerstation, pull out our cameras, and try being hip by expanding our photo diaries in Fuxing Park.  Luckily I had the help of the Popstamatic app to channel my inner Warhol!

An older woman sings her heart out while her husband backs her up on drums.

Two men settle matters  over a game of chess.

I frequently see older people staring in the park and wonder what is running through their minds.

While I will never be hip, I must continue creating my visual diary!  More soon!