Tuesday, September 1, 2015

First Days and Heartache

I am a teacher.  Each autumn, I get excited about new school supplies, squeaky-clean classrooms, and the prospect of seeing how much my kids have grown.  I get pumped for the first days of quality professional development, and love planning what my kids will learn during the school year. I am called to be a teacher, and the classroom is my home.







This year is a little different.  For the first time in 30+ years, I won’t be in the classroom this fall.  Yesterday, I had the agonizing task of passing my materials and expertise to my replacement.  I am fortunate to have the opportunity to say goodbye to many of my incredibly supportive colleagues, and to ensure my successor’s transition will be smooth.  I am very happy to report my replacement is an amazing teacher who will be great for our kids.  However deep down inside, selfish me is heartbroken.  I want to be the teacher who works with them for one more year.






Many people have asked what I plan on doing when we return to the States.  My honest answer is “I don’t know.”  While I would love to find a new school home, I know that I won’t get back to work immediately due to the timing of our move.  I know before I am able to be a good teacher, I need to find our family a new home, see family and friends, and find a position that will be a best fit for me and my future kids.  I may not find my new home immediately, but I do have faith that I will be called to my new school when the time is right.







In the meantime I’ll pack some boxes, binge watch Netflix, and enjoy my last days in Shanghai.  I wish my kids all over the world a happy and productive school year!  I miss y’all!!!




No comments: