Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Big News

When we signed up for this gig in 2012, we knew that our time in Shanghai wouldn’t last forever.  Last year, Chris signed on for another year in Shanghai with the understanding that if a better offer within his company came along, we could move early.

We NEVER thought another opportunity would present itself this soon.  When Chris’ great grand boss presented him an opportunity that aligned with his professional and personal goals, we had to jump at the chance.  So, we have an announcement.

To make the announcement a little fun, I created this word puzzle for my parents.  Feel free to solve it if you have a little time on your hands.


If you are feeling lazy, and want to see my parent’s reaction to our news, watch the clip below.
SPOILER ALERT:  THIS VIDEO CONTAINS DETAILS ABOUT OUR NEXT ADVENTURE!!!





To prevent you from seeing our news on this screen, I am going to post pictures of my darling nieces and nephew.

Annabelle enjoys her first Den Pop at Purdue.
Amelia cruises around the driveway.
Hank plays with gravity on his first birthday.

If you opted to not solve my cryptoquip or watch my video, the big news is we are relocating to Florence, Kentucky (Suburban Cincinnati, OH) in a little over a month.

For me, the move is met with mixed emotions.  Part of me is elated.  For the first time since we married, Chris and I will be only a 4-6 hour drive from our families.  I will more than likely be able to attend my 20th high school class reunion, and will be able to celebrate holidays with my family and friends.  Food will be cheap, air will be clean, and I will be able to convey a simple idea without playing charades.  We are leaving knowing this is the best move for our family.

However, there is so much of Shanghai I will miss.  The days of traveling to exotic locales, services that deliver pretty much anything, and having an Ayi who takes care of our needs are OVER.  I am also heartbroken to be leaving my family of friends, many of who supported us from the time we walked off the plane that crazy day in the summer of 2012. Worst of all, for the first time in 33 years I will be spending the school year outside a place I am meant to be…school.  I’m going to miss my kids.

While leaving is bittersweet, I am grateful that we are leaving the party while the party is fun.  I haven’t reached the disgruntled expat stage of the overseas experience, and I am excited about the future that awaits us in the Midwest.  I have faith that I will find what I am called to do while I am there, and look forward to sharing my American adventures!!!! 

In the meantime, please keep us in your prayers.  Repatriation isn’t going to be easy.  I look forward to sharing my final Chinese experiences over the next 40 days, and will reveal my new website in the near future!  (I have decided I’m not quitting blogging, but I do need a new domain.)


Most importantly, thanks for reading!!  Stay tuned for the next chapter!!

No comments: