Saturday, October 18, 2014

Color Running

I am not a runner.  However, after gaining more than a few pounds on my home trip, I decided it was time to get off the couch and get moving.  When I saw the Color Run was coming to Shanghai, I dusted off my couch to 5K playlist and got ready to cross another event off my bucket list.

Much to my chagrin, my training was cut short by a month long virus. In spite of our plague, Chris and I were determined to walk/run 5K while getting pelted by colored cornstarch. 

Two days before the race I headed to the Oriental Sports Center to pick up our racing packets.  It was then that I started to panic because I was not prepared to run a 5K.  At least the race wasn't timed.

We were nice and clean before the race.

Many runners decided to dress up for the occasion.

Runners of all sizes and shapes were ready to go!

I wanted to stay uncolored until the start of the race.  That didn't happen,

The race sold out in 15 minutes online.  The start times were staggered to prevent a massive pileup of runners.

At this point in the race I was ready to become a smurf!

After smurfdom, I became a minion.

Toward the end of the race, everything was a pink and purple cornstarchy mess.
 
Yellow Cornstarch up the nose is not fun, but it does make for an interesting picture. 
Everyone was caked in cornstarch from head to toe. 
We did it!!!
I even left a little bit of color on the metro on the way home.   Oops!!!

It took us a while, but I am proud to say Chris and I completed our first 5K as a couple!  Up next…the Zombie Crawl!!!