Sunday, June 22, 2014

Saying Goodbye: Our 5th Grade Farewell Celebration

As a teacher, every few years you get blessed with the perfect class.  The kids are funny, smart, inquisitive, passionate, caring, and cooperative.  There are few if any discipline problems and the number of students in the class is not too many or too few.  When you walk into your lesson, you feel like you are walking into a fun family get together rather than a classroom of students. Teaching these kids becomes the highlight of your day.  They make you fall in love with teaching all over again.  For the past two years, my class of then fourth and now fifth graders were those kids. 

Last Friday, I thought I was heading back to Daning one last time to watch my kids graduate, and say goodbye.  Little did I know that I was going to attend a thank you ceremony for all of their teachers.  Here are some of the highlights.

The class leaders did a great job emceeing the performance.
The kids decided to perform a hilarious rendition of "Old McDonald Had a Farm". 

They also played a guess the teacher game.  I guess the kids really do remember the holiday festivities.

After the goodbye messages from the teachers, we tied our wishes for the upcoming years to balloons...
and set them free. 
We then had a great time pretending to throw the mortarboards.
As one of the teachers, I received a card, my clue, a rose and a memory book.  I felt so loved and appreciated as a teacher! 
The best thing about the ceremony was the kids gave me a chance to say goodbye.  I hardly made it through my words, but I did it!  Here is my memory book message for them.



I was so glad to be able to properly say my goodbyes.  I’m going to miss these kids!!!