Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Children’s Day

As a kid, I would always celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s Day.  As a little kid I would always wonder why there wasn’t a kid’s day.  Guess what readers; China has a holiday that is designated for celebrating kids!  Every June 1st , kids in the People’s Republic of China get celebrated and spoiled.

My kids have been excited about Children’s day since Tuesday.  When I walked into classrooms the kids reminded me that there will be a school carnival on Friday and that on Sunday they will be getting all kinds of toys, electronics, and more from their parents. 

I have to say, kids in general are pretty fun…especially my students.  So as my Childrens’ Day gift to them, I present to you:

The Top Ten Reasons Why I Love My Students and Teaching in China.

1)  The kids are very respectful.  Every time I pass a student, they always greet me (and other adults) with an enthusiastic smile and “Hullo Teacher!”



2)  My kids help me see a playful side of China that I wouldn’t have seen in other professions.



3)  It’s great to work in a place where you get mobbed everyday with hugs.



4)  It’s fun to pretend I am Maria VonTrapp or Anna from The King and I.  It’s hard to not love your job when you have singing kids around you.



5)  My kids are incredibly creative.  It’s fun to watch them make cute wardrobes out of trash bags or Halloween masks out of paper plates.



6)  I love watching their faces when they experience American traditions like egg decorating and visiting Santa Claus for the first time.



7)  I love their seemingly endless lines of innocent questioning. 

 
8)  They are intelligent.  They speak English much better than I speak Chinese.


9)  They know when to party, but they get back to business when the fun is over.



10)  I love being able to share my heart with little ones who will be making an impact halfway around the world.



If you are reading this kids, know that you are awesome and have greatly enriched my life in ways I never thought possible!  Happy Children’s Day!