Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Hunger Games: Shanghai

While on Chinese New Year holiday, Chris and I watched Catching Fire.  As the final credits scrolled across our TV screen, I decided I wanted to channel my inner Katniss Everdeen and test my shooting and archery abilities in Shanghai.   

Chinese gun culture is significantly different from American gun culture.  In fact, several sources have told me it is next to impossible for a civilian to get a firearm over here.   In China, you can’t purchase guns at Walmart, however kids are allowed to bring toy guns and other various toy weapons to school.   

The toy weapons were quite popular on Halloween.
Folks are allowed to shoot handguns and rifles at the East Shanghai Shooting and Archery Club.  When I found out the East Shanghai Shooting and Archery Club had a shooting range, an archery range, KTV, a bar, and more, I decided I needed to investigate.  I grabbed some of my people and headed out for our version of the Hunger Games! 

For 99RMB, I was able to shoot 10 bullets in a handgun, shoot 24 arrows at the archery range, and hang out for an hour in the game room. 

I was so surprised I was able to shoot a handgun in China.

Fortunately, the range had a shooting instructor who showed me how to hold the gun in broken English.  The range also had TV monitors in the range so I could check my accuracy.
I think it is pretty safe to say I won't be pursuing a career as an assassin anytime soon...
After shooting the handguns, we headed to the archery range.  The instructors were quite helpful and friendly! 
I preferred the bow and arrow to the handgun.  

I was actually pretty accurate when it came to archery.  However, I didn't catch the picture of my arrow that struck the target next to me.   Ooops...

After our shooting fun we headed up to the game room to check out the games.  
The KTV was not set up in small rooms.  It was more like western karaoke. 
Foosball was also available! 
If you feel the need to pound out your aggressions after shooting targets, there is a miniature Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf whack-a-mole machine.


For 99RMB, we had quite an entertaining afternoon.  If you decide to visit the range, make sure to bring a passport or photo ID (if you are local).  For information on how to get to East Shanghai Shooting and Archery Club, click here.  May the odds be ever in your favor!