Thursday, January 9, 2014

Tai Tai Field Trip Time: The Shanghai Aquarium

Chinese New Year is almost here, so like last year I have five unpaid weeks of freedom!  This year I have decided in an attempt to prevent myself from going stir crazy, I will be taking field trips to various Shanghai destinations every Tuesday and Thursday.

Last Tuesday, I took my first field trip to the Shanghai Aquarium.  I have to admit, after visiting the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, I am a little bit of an aquarium snob.  However, I have to say that the Shanghai Aquarium exceeded my expectations.  The visit to the aquarium was well worth the 160 RMB.

The aquarium is located near the Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Pudong.  I highly recommend visiting both locations in the same day.  For directions to the aquarium, click here.  

At first I was afraid the aquarium would be too much like a seafood restaurant for my liking. 

Fortunately, they had a large variety of many beautiful, colorful fish!

They even had some beautiful fish that weren't so colorful!  I had never seen an albino fish before. 

These were the most active penguins I had ever seen!  They knew how to party and entertain!

I was mesmerized by the thousands of jelly fish!

Many of the hallways and escalators were fish tanks!  I especially enjoyed the tank tunnel on the first floor.

A sea turtle floated on by. 
I was impressed by the sharks!  The entire time I was in the Shark tunnel, the Jaws theme song was going through my head. 

One of the perks of hanging out in the shark tunnel is the ability to get up close and personal with the fish!  Check out the teeth on this big guy!


While the aquarium wasn’t Shedd, it was a lot of fun!  I do recommend taking your time on each level.  Once you take the escalator down to a lower floor, you are not allowed to return to the upper levels.  For more information on the aquarium, click here.