Saturday, February 9, 2013

Prepping for the New Year: Bring On the Snake!!!


Today is Chinese New Year’s eve.  I find myself in an exciting time.  I am about to celebrate a major holiday, but have no clue how to do so.   So, before school let out, I had my 4th grade students teach me about Chinese New Year.  This was a great way to teach commands in English while getting the skinny on how to ring in the lunar New Year Chinese style. 

My 4th Graders' Rules for a Fabulous Chinese New Year


1)   You must decorate your door with lucky symbols to keep away bad spirits.

This was not too difficult.  Stores like Carrefour have huge supplies of red door signs that are guaranteed to keep the spirits away.

I am sure the evil spirits will be deterred by my scary snake!

2)   You should eat dumplings on New Year’s Eve for good luck!

Since I did not get around to learning how to make dumplings, I stocked up on frozen ones.  I will also cook some lucky noodles (Western Spaghetti) for backup.

When in doubt, go frozen!



3)   You must watch the CCTV New Year’s Eve Gala.

If I am home, I may catch part of it.  It looks like 5+ hours of Chinese fun!

4)   You must wish people a Happy New Year!

Here are some of my darlings sharing how to properly wish someone a Happy New Year.  If you are a child, you run around wishing people lots of money for the New Year, and ask for red envelopes or red bags containing money.  According to them it is kind of like Trick or Treating.  Too bad the kids are not excited about this.




5)   If you were born in the year of the Snake, you must wear red all year!

If you don’t, you will have bad luck.  When I told my Chinese friends that I was born in the year of the Snake, they instructed me to buy lots of red socks and underwear.  I am thinking I will start with my New Year’s toes…

I am not taking any chances! 
6)   You should eat lots of junk food during New Year’s.

Oh that is a tough one.   I special ordered these just to fulfill that demand.

I completely love the cupcakes from Sweet Ever After!  So yummy!!!

I will keep posting New Year’s Updates over the next 15 days.  Bring on the snake!!!