Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sleep

We all need sleep to survive.  I know that I especially will need it once I start teaching on Monday.


One thing that constantly amazes me about China is the fact that people will sleep anywhere and everywhere.
Sweet dreams on the subway.
A family snoozes in Ikea.
Hopefully this man is having cool dreams.

How do people sleep through the hustle and bustle?

And another one bites the dust.

That can't be comfortable.


Make yourself at home.

Why do people sleep everywhere but their beds?  Chinese beds are very, very firm and uncomfortable.  Legend has it that Chinese folks feel that a firm bed is a healthy bed.  Many emperors used to sleep on wooden beds with jade pillows.  Honestly, I am not a fan of rocky slumbers, and am missing my pillow top mattress.

This is our bed.  It is less comfy than it looks.
Box springs = a sheet of plywood.

It may be beatifulout, but it is painful!
Yeah...

The first time Chris laid on the bed, he immediately yelped.  My reaction was quite similar.  I figured I would put on a brave face, suck it up, and get used to the nightly coil massage.  After one month of nightmares, I demanded a change.

Luckily, Ikea sells a mattress pillow top for wimpy westerners like myself.  One week and $400 later, it was sweet dreams for me!